Sunday, July 19, 2009

Using Web 2.0 Technologies in the Classroom

Before this class, I can honestly say I utilized absolutely no web 2.0 technologies – neither for personal reasons nor for educational purposes. Now, I am learning so much. Why is it, that we as teachers are not exposed to these new technologies? What I think… For one, as a public school teacher, at the end of the day, I am very tired. And I want to spend my evenings with my husband, visiting with family or reading a book. I certainly don’t want to spend time learning a new technology that I may or may not use;I have never seen the necessity of it before. And although professional development activities attempt to expose us as educators to these technologies, again, we are so busy that we focus on learning new technologies (i.e. Gradebook, Excel, PowerPoint…) that will make our lives in the classroom easier. And personally speaking, teaching from bell to bell left no time for “frivolous” exploration. Additionally, professional development is so often taught hurriedly by persons who have much knowledge about the technologies, and for me, just hanging in and performing the actions I am told to perform, leaves me no time to comprehend the information, much less reflect on it. Consequently, I am really glad I chose to take this class: Teaching and Learning with Technology. Initially, I had to get permission to over-ride the pre-requisite requirement. As I told Dr. An, I can do it; I have been teaching for 18 years, and I know computers plenty well-famous last words! But the truth is, I am doing it; it is not hard, and better yet, I am learning ways to apply it to my classroom (when I get back to teaching). And even better than that, I see the values using such technologies to grow stronger students. These technologies are even linked to psychological and instructional theory. I know new learning has to be anchored to something in a student’s mind in order for that student to retain the information. Well, YouTube, for example, can be used to anchor lots of topics. Wow, but I can really see some potential. Another technology I know I will use often in the classroom is blogging. Students need to interact; learn from one another; talk about their beliefs right or wrong. They need to develop their voice. This is part of growing as a student. In fact, as a student myself, I can hardly wait to start developing my voice on my personal BlogSpot. Once I get through with this class, and perhaps the next one, I intend to let it all hang out. I have much to say, but I hesitate to say it for fear of changing my mind, or because I may not have a full understanding of the situation, and then looking like an idiot. Consequently, I just hang on to it in my mind. But I need to talk to process. On my BlogSpot, I will say it, and I will develop my thinking better as a result. I know I will grow in confidence, and then I will contribute more in areas I typically shun for fear of reprisal. And this is what our students need to do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment