Saturday, June 20, 2009

Living with ADD

My mind works so problematicly for me sometimes. Before I left work Thursday, I printed off the ITED 511 assignment. Even after looking at it twice, I couldn't believe I had only until Sunday to complete the blogging assignment. None-the-less, due to constant out of town company (including 5 children under the age of six) since even before I got home from work Thursday, I am just now getting to my computer. Well, low and behold, the assignment is due July 19th. Why couldn't I have read this on Thursday (rather than reading it inproperly)? I sure would have enjoyed my company more. Anyway, my point is that I incorrectly read the due date. I am an educated 44 year old teacher, mind you! I think when I saw the 19th, I was in such shock that I missed the message. My mind even converted the date I saw to the 21st rather than the 19th, thus giving me an additional two days to complete the assignment- I guess my brain knew it would be impossible for me to do it otherwise. Up until one hour ago, I was planning to spend the night up here on my computer working until the assignment was finished. I am soooo glad I get to go to bed. And I am so glad my assignment is not late.

I know I have ADD. And I know my brain seems as if it short circuits sometime. How many students have I given zeros to for not turning in their assignments at the proper time? How many of them have let life get in their way of an assignment (as I did with my family and out of town guests) , and instead of my listening to them, I very well probably said, "no, the rules are the rules." My heart is sad.

Scenarios, similar to the above story, happen to me a lot. And I know they happen to students too. Coping with ADD is a life long process.

No comments:

Post a Comment