Friday, June 26, 2009

What to do... (Does this count as a blog entry?)

Man, I gotta blog! (Now isn't this exciting since I have only been doing this for less than a couple of weeks- I think.) Anyway, as I am researching blogs for the purpose of completing the blogging assignment, I have come to realize I am a mess in my head (ADD as previously mentioned- I suppose). Well, I don't know what I want to do with my life, or perhaps I should say there are too many things grabbing for my attention. The good thing is that I am in a job that I love because I get to build relationships with students (one-on-one, almost all day long), and I feel like I am making a difference for them. I tutor them as diligently as they want to be tutored; I teach college success strategies; I visit with students in the hallways; I advise them in terms of academic classes to take... (Anyway you get the point.) Now back to the point... I don't see myself doing this for very long.(It's too easy, and I am not sure I have freedom to grow; perhaps, however, this is only in my mind.) But I get to work on my master's degree w/o stressing out too much because of job conflicts. But what next? I have taught high school biology for 18 years; I've worked at a community college in my current position for three years; I'm about to complete my master's degree. What next? I am considering, just considering, continuing on with post graduate studies. (After all, I've been taking classes ever since I started in the first grade. Why should I stop now?) Now how does all of this relate to the assignment? Well, all this time spent looking for blogs to reflect on has dis-settled (is that a word?) me. I can't seem to get a focus. I had a difficult time settling on a blog to reflect on, much less two blogs. Anyway, I have seen and read some really cool things since I started this assignment. It has caused me, once again, to ask myself questions: Who am I? What do I want to do with my life? What are my priorities? I know I am an educator; this I am passionate about. But what do I educate people about: biology, learning, self-development, spiritual growth, environmental stewardship??? I've read so many blogs about all of these that I am inspired and discontent at the same time. (This seems to be the story of my life.) But I am 45 years old-almost. Is this a mid-life crises? Should I be scared? Or am I taking this blogging assignment to seriously? And that is another issue with me: I take every graduate course I take as if it is my life. I think about it a lot; I imagine ways of incorporating it into my life and the lives of those around me; I want to talk about it with others. And I don't even care if I get an A or not, I just want to learn something. I love to learn, and I have a great work ethic; I just don't know how to balance the two with the rest of my life. O.K. I don't know if I should be apologizing or not because I don't know about blogging etiquette, but I am sorry for those of you on my ITED team who have to read my ramblings. Hopefully, some of you will have ramblings too, and I can pay penitence by reading through yours. :-)

1 comment:

  1. I think that most of us feel this way. I love what I am doing, but I know that I have to keep up with technology in order to be successful. It is scarey......how the world is moving so fast. Look how far we have come in the past ten years. Where will we go in the next ten years? This does make us question our lives. Are we doing what we should be doing in life? What should we get prepared for? How should we get prepared? I think that continueing to further our education is the key! I am not sure what you want to do with your life, but you are headed in the right direction. Continue your education!!! When you find out how you want to proceed...you will be prepared!

    ReplyDelete